We Are Family is growing, and we’re looking for a part time Social Worker! Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com no later than December 10.
Social Worker Support Group Consultant
We Are Family, Charleston, SC 29407
$15 per hour
The Social Worker Support Group Consultant will advertise, organize, and facilitate a weekly support group for gender and sexual minority youth ages 12-18, a monthly support group for Queer/Trans Youth of Color ages 18-25, and a monthly support group for gender and sexual minority youth ages 18-25. Groups focus on providing sexual and gender minority youth with a place to receive information, support and education about intersectionality, self care, body positivity, sex/ace positivity, racial justice, social justice, and personal empowerment.
- Develop curriculum for weekly SafeSpace support group (12-18 years old), monthly QTPOC support group (18-25 years old), and monthly QueerSpace support group (18-25 years old);
- Advertise and promote the support groups through social media, text messaging, community outreach, and other touch points;
- Supervise and/or facilitate client groups and other activities;
- Coordinate volunteer co-facilitators for each meeting
- Develop age-appropriate, evidence-based curricula for each support group.
- Communicate with Executive Director and other youth advocates on a daily basis and maintain accurate documentation;
- Assist clients to deal effectively with personal and interpersonal issues as they arise;
- Follow-up with youth in crisis, if necessary;
- Assist the Executive Director in the creation of processes for intake, reporting, program evaluation, and case management;
- Assist the Executive Director in the coordination of a Youth Advisory Board;
- Participate in staff meetings, planning meetings and other meetings as needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience working with LGBT youth and familiarity with issues of particular relevance to LGBTQ youth;
- Experience working with queer/trans people of color and familiarity with issues of particular relevance to queer/trans people of color;
- A passion for We Are Family’s work and its mission to make the world a better place for LGBTQ youth;
- A minimum of 2 years experience in a social service or related setting working with youth;
- Experience facilitating groups;
- Knowledge and experience in case management and/or counseling;
- Experience working with at-risk youth and youth experiencing homelessness;
- Bilingual a plus (Spanish/English preferred);
- Knowledge and/or education in Addiction/Recovery, including a specific knowledge and understanding of alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use a plus;
- Knowledge and/or education in mental health for gender and sexual minority youth, including a specific knowledge and understanding of suicide, self-harm, and gender variance preferred;
- Knowledge and understanding of the social issues affecting gender and sexual minority youth, including experience working with youth at risk of experiencing homelessness (specific work with gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and/or runaway youth a plus);
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and interpersonal skills;
- Strong computer skills and knowledge including word processing database operations, spreadsheets, and other software systems;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ethnicities, nationalities, sexual orientations, gender identities, socio-economic backgrounds, religions, ages, English-speaking abilities, immigration statutes, and physical abilities in a multicultural environment.
Position: Social Worker Support Group Leader
Organization: We Are Family
Programs: SafeSpace, QTPOC, QueerSpace
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Part-Time, Consultant Position, 5-10 hours per week
Please email cover letter and resume as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We Are Family is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering diversity within its staff. Applications are encouraged from all persons regardless of their race, color, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, HIV status, medical/physical/mental condition, pregnancy/childbirth and related medical condition, age, marital status, or veteran status.
Job Type: Part-time, Consultant
Salary: $15 /hour
Required experience: 2 years providing direct services in a social service setting
Required language: English
Required licenses or certifications: Masters in Social Work, Masters in Counseling or Psychology, or undergrad in human services field with 3-5 commensurate years experience